Monday, July 29, 2013

Why I Shop Thrift...and Yes, Occassionally Sell Some Items.

While the majority of the feedback that I've received due to my recent television appearances has been positive, there are a few people who have expressed concern about what I do.  Specifically, people ask why I shop thrift stores if I can afford not to.  They also ask why I take all of the "good stuff" from people that really need it.  Let me address each point.

First of all, I grew up poor.  Destitute.  I spent my entire childhood shopping thrift out of need, so I know how it feels to have thrift shops as your only clothing option.  While I now can afford to shop retail, old habits are hard to break.  I simply don't like overpaying for things.

Second, while I never felt embarrassed to shop thrift even when it was hard to make ends meet, I know that others wouldn't be caught dead in a thrift store.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd like to think that my TV appearances are helping remove the stigma.  I'm actually proud of this.

Third, I specialize in vintage clothing.  Last I looked, you can't find a vintage blouse at Macy's.

Fourth and most important, the money I spend at thrift stores is helping people.  If people like me don't shop thrift for "moral reasons", Goodwill's revenues decline.  It's that simple.  In fact, check out their mission statement.  
  • MISSION STATEMENT: To help change lives through the power of work. Goodwill provides career training and placement assistance for employment.  We support our programs through profits generated through the sale of donated goods.  Nearly 90 cents of every shopping dollar we receive help fund educational programs and services that assist people in finding better jobs and building careers.
Note that their primary goal is to generate funds to help people train for and obtain employment...not to provide clothes to those that can't afford to pay retail prices.

Finally, let me address whether or not I take all of the "good stuff".  There are thousands of thrift stores in the U.S.  On average, I sell 3 to 5 items per month.  I really don't think I'm emptying the shelves.  Finally, I don't think I'm buying items that are in high demand from the disadvantaged.   I certainly didn't shop for vintage clothing when I was looking for a job and couldn't rub two dimes together.
I do admit that a minute percentage of people will suffer as a result of my actions.  They won't get that Hermes scarf or Chanel skirt because I found it first.  On balance, however, I sleep well at night knowing that my actions are contributing to charitable efforts and convincing the up and coming that there is no shame in shopping thrift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment